Re: SyJet

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 ssnow@earth.ml.org wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone had any expierence with using the Syjet
> (from Syqest) drive with Debian Linux. I am currently considering buying
> a Syjet 2 gig drive. I am just wondering how are/if possible to have it
> run on my linux system.  The drive would be the external parallel port
> model. I am running Debian 2.0 and Kernel 2.0.34

Hi,

I have a Syquest Sparq 1.0 Gb IDE parallel port version. It quite works
well with Debian Linux.

Bit of a problem is that since the parallel port version is IDE based,
it's so CPU Intensive! I've heard that the SCSI parallel port drives is
faster and not as CPU intensive compared to the IDE parallel port drives.

Looking at www.torque.net/linux-pp.html, The Syjet is supported... albeit
the software is still in ALPHA version.

So, your best bet is to either:

* Buy a Syquest Sparc now.
* Buy a Syquest Syjet now. Wait for a few weeks/months for the software
  driver to be mature/stable.

regards,

== ========== Andre M. Varon  Lasaltech Incorporated
== ==    ==== Technical Head  Fax-Tel: (034)435-0836