Re: PCMCIA-CS: configure?

Remo Badii wrote:
> I have an IBM THinkpad 760CD on which I have been using an Accton
> Ethernet Card with success in a previous Linux installation (SuSE 4.2,
> made for me by a person who has left in the meantime).
> I have installed the pcmcia-cs package: what should be done next?

As I type, Laptop to ethernet...

1) get the kernel source code
2) configure a new kernel with *
    1) TCP/IP enabled in the Networking options
    2) Network Device Support and Ethernet enabled, but don't specify
the card at all.**
3) do a make dep, followed by a make-kpkg clean
4) next, do "make-kpkg --revision=personal.1 kernel_image" to make a
.deb file of your new kernel
5) now do a "make-kpkg --revision=personal.1 modules_image" to make the
pcmcia modules.
6) now change to "../" and find the two .deb files linux...deb and
pcmcia...deb
7) finally install the two deb files (dpkg -i lin...  pcm...)
8) reboot.

* I make no warrenty for anything - if it blows up, it blows up. Make a
backup boot image & get LILO working before you start!
 ** The pcmcia drivers will pick up whatever devices are in the pcmcia
slots, don't be tempted to force the selection in the kernel - it won't
work.

--
Ian Stuart
Computing Services