3 com(USR) modem

Ok....I admit it....I am feeling like a total idiot!!!!!!!   and I am
getting very frustrated with my system....This list seems to be my only
source for help....so to everyone that has already answered questions for
me.....thanks...and here's another one

I tried to install Debian 1.3 but couldn't get X going with the right video
settings, so I downloaded Hamm. I have gotten help from this list on my
mouse, ethernet card, video card, monitor, and  such. Now I can't figure
out how to configure my modem so that I can connect to the internet and go
to the debian ftp site.

I have a US Robotics Sportster 56k Internal...not the win only model. I
can't find any info anywhere for this modem.. anyone have any ideas???

Once I can get this working and can at least be able to connect to the ftp
site and get the .deb packages that I keep forgetting to download or have
errors downloading....I should be able to get this thing
going....RIGHT????????

HELP

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE