apache and local hostname problems

I thought I'd do some cgi programming, so I installed apache 1.3.1-3. During
the configure process, I got these errors:

  httpd: cannot determine local host name.
  Use ServerName to set it manually.
  /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I set the local host name manually, and everything was fine. But is this the
correct way to solve the problem?

I am running a one-user workstation, connecting to the internet by modem.
The hostname of the computer is `oskar' (no domain). My /etc/resolv.conf
contains these two lines:

  search .
  nameserver 192.71.220.10

The IP is my provider's DNS server.

Also, when apache is started and no clients are accessing the pages, I can
see at least seven `/usr/sbin/apache' entries in the process list. Is this
normal? (Seems a bit too many, despite the fact all are marked `sleeping'?)

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)