Debian /etc/groups

I am trying to put some debian boxes in at work and one problem I keep
running into when setting them up is that Debian's selection of groups and
users is different than the NIS maps being passwd around. This results in
ownership of files and directoried changing when NIS is started.

For example, here is a comparison of a Debian HAMM system and a Solaris
2.6 installation.

0	root	root
1	daemon	other  <<--different
2	bin	bin
3	sys	sys
4	adm	adm
5	tty	uucp   <<--different
6	disk	mail   <<--different
7	lp	tty    <<--different
8	mail	lp     <<--different
9	news	nouucp <<--different
10	uucp	staff  <<--different
11
12		daemon <<--different
13	proxy
14		sysadmin
15	kmem
50	staff

The ones that particularly bite are staff/uucp, mail/lp

Are there any plans to make things a little more standard so that Linux
can more easilly exist in an NIS/Automount environment?

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!