static IP on PPP to non-ISP

hmm, i tried to do this a few minutes ago, and it never came back . . .

it has occurred to me that i didn't configure the laptop, which dials
in and connects to my desktop, any differently for it's network than
the desktop.

I have second IP adress assigned on the same subnet.  I need to use a
script to navigate my way from the modem pool to my own machine, also
running debian.

Do I need to tell it somethinh to let it know to use the desktop
machine?  perhaps a hosts entry?  and do i need to tell the big machine
anything to catch traffic for the laptop?

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.