locking kernel, bzImage and zImage same size?

I've installed hamm on a thinkpad 560e, and the kernel from the tecra boot
disk works, but I can't build my own kernel (reboots after 'loading
linux...')

I understand that this is a known problem, and that thinkpads, tecras, and
some other laptops can't boot from a bzImage.

The kernel I get from 'make zImage' fails in the same way.

However, 'make bzImage' gives me a kernel that is only ONE byte smaller
(340654 vs 340655).

The files themselves are quite different internally, but this made me
suspicious anyway.

I'm working with 2.0.34

I'd love to hear any other suggestions, particularly from someone who's
successfully installed on a thinkpad [560]!