Re: Disabling virtual desktops in X

*-LUK ShunTim <cestluk@polyu.edu.hk>

| Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
| >
| > *-LUK ShunTim <cestluk@polyu.edu.hk>
| > |
| > | I'm just wondering whether enabling virtual resolution is compiled
| > | default in X servers. Even if I commented out all "Virtual" options in
| > | my XF86Config file, I still get the virtual desktops. I'm using the
| > | XF86_Mach64 server.
| > |
| > | Any hint if I'd like to disable it?
| >
| > I'm a little unsure what you mean here. Virtual resolution is set
| > in the XF86Config file. It does however seem that you problem is
| > with virtual desktops. This is something that is under the control
| > of the window manager. You need to tell us which window manager you
| > use, if it's really virtual desktops you refer to.
|
| Ole,
|
| Please accept my apology if I have confused virtual resolution with
| virtual desktop and didn't make myself clear. Please explain the
| difference.

No need to apologise :-)

Virtual resolution is a feature of XFree86. It allows you to work
on a larger space than the actual resolution of your display. It
works almost exactly as if you had a display with better resolution.
I don't think you can really disable it, but you can avoid noticing
it by setting the virtual resolution to be the same as your actual
resolution. Just put "Virtual xdim ydim" in you Display entry in
XF86Config. (If you don't know the actual dimension of your display
you can use xdpyinfo to find out).

Virtual desktops if a feature offered my many window managers to
allow you several different workspaces with the set resolution.
twm doesn't offer this, so I guess you must be talking about the
virtual resoultion.

| Now back to my problem. What I see after I started X is the desktop
| which  is *larger* than the size of the screen and I have to move the
| mouse a long distance to get to other parts of the desktop. I experience
| this phenomenon in every (if I remembered correctly) window manager I
| tried: twm, fvwm95, kwm(kde) and I have a small real desktop :)
| What I'd like to have is a desktop that has the same size as my screen.

Yup. Just set the virtual resolution to the same as the real. If you
delete the "virtual" entry (as you did), it will be set to accomodate
all the modelines, which may not be what you want.

--
.elOle.