Debian 2.0 last, wtmp broken

I have 4 machines running Debian, three of which I have upgraded to 2.0
(hamm) from 1.3.1 using autoup.sh. I have followed the instructions
contained therein regarding utmp and wtmp, (repeatedly) but my last
command does not work properly on any of these machines:
 "last" returns with nothing except "wtmp begins ..."
though "who" seems to be ok
In fact, everything else works great.

I have noted the posting regarding this problem with the suggestion of
reinstalling the shellutils package. Does this work? dselect seems to
indicate that removing this will break my system.

I would appreciate any help on this problem

Thank you.
Eric Fain                   DSP/Communications Lab
                            (303)492-2759
eric.fain@colorado.edu      University of Colorado, Boulder CO