Re: PPP as normal user

*- Ed Cogburn wrote about "Re: PPP as normal user"

| 	For one thing, I'm uneasy at the fact that you don't have an options
| file in /etc/ppp.  Going by the messages in that file, having that file
| should be standard for Debian setups.  Changes to the default in the
| options file would go in the /peers/provider file.

>From what I understand from the man pages, doc's etc.  I can have all
my options in the /etc/ppp/peers/provider options file, no problem.

| 	I've had pppd hang as its doing to you.  I narrowed my problem to the
| file permissions of /etc/chatscripts/provider (there are 2 'provider'
| files).
|
| /etc/chatscripts dir:
| drwxr-x---   2 root     dip          1024 Jun 22 13:34 chatscripts
|
| /etc/chatscripts/provider:
| -rw-r-----   1 root     dip           512 Aug 14 22:29 provider
     ^^^^
BINGO!  I found that the group read bit was not on on this file.
Changed that and I am a happy camper now.  In fact I just dialed in to
send this mail using my user account.

Figures it would be something small like that.  It would be nice if
there was a script in the ppp package to check for these kind of
permission problems.

Thanks all,

--
Brian