Score: Smail 1, Bob 0

I have just installed hamm off the 'official' CD and am struggling with smail
differences from the earlier '2.0beta' CD that some vendors put out. This is
the proverbial standalone machine hooked to an ISP via a modem.

Q: I can only send mail when dialled up to the internet. smail will not spool
messages into the /input dir for later delivery (for example, by using
'sendmail -q'). The log says "...temporary failure returned to
'bernie@wingnut' while verifying recipient: (ERR_164)...

Q: The 'questionable operand' messages are becoming really annoying. How do I
get smail to see a hostname such as 'wingnut.localdomain'?

On the above question, I went through this list's mail from last Jan thru
July; August is gone due to a HD problem, the very contingency that brought me
to do a fresh install of 2.0. It seems the issue was raised several times, in
much more serious contexts (mail not getting delivered, etc.) but I saw no
resolution in the mail I searched.

As to the first question, I have tried tweaking smail's config file in various
ways but I don't seem smart enough to figure out this new anti-spam security
stuff, if that's what I'm running into.

Q: And now, something completely different: rdate complains that it can't make
a socket connection. What is that about? The xntpd thingie installed by
default? I like running rdate as needed, so is there any fix for this?

As I say, I've lost the list's most recent mail, so a thousand pardons if I'm
asking something that's just been dealt with!

Bob Bernstein at Esmond, R.I.