Re: apt and multi-CD distributions

Quoting Christian Lynbech (lynbech@defun.ml.org):
> Is there a way to install via apt from multiple CD's, but from a
> single drive?
>
> And how about mounting the CD. With dselects CDROM method, dselect
> will take cae of the necessary mounting and unmounting, whereas I have
> sofar done this by hand with apt.

What I've done is use vold. It creates a directory under /cdrom for each
cd you use, based on its label. It will automount when you insert the
cd. For apt, I copied debian/dists/.../Packages.gz (preserving the
directory structure) to the debian cd's directory when the cd is
unmounted. Since the Packages.gz is there whether the cd is in or not,
apt can update the package lists at any time. You'll get an error if you
try to install a file from a cd that's not mounted, but you can just put
it in and try again. It's a little clunky, but it works.

Mike Stone