Re: Package installation templates?

Mark Burgess wrote:
> A good topic for the debain FAQ would be the answer to the following
> question. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to mail me their answer
> to this also.
>
> I want to create a standard list of packages which I will then install
> on 50 machines  without having to go into dselect and choose them
> by hand.  i.e. I want to to make a bunch of clones from the the sources.
>
> I need a template list for the packages in my set-up.
>
> How can I do this? Is is obvious?

Quite easy.

Install one system.

dpkg --get-selections > file

On the remaining 49 machines you type

cat file |dpkg --set-selections

before you call dselect.

After that, just install.

I believe you can easily integrate this list into the pre-selection
list of distributions at the end of the initial installation.

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.