Re: Debian 1.3.1 --> 2.0: a wise move?

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > After reading a lot about exim's good qualities, I decided to replace
> > smail with exim.  I could again not get exim to work.  I never had a
> > problem to get smail to work with 1.1 - 1.3.1.  However it took me
> > more than 24 hours to get some sort of email system working again.  I
> > tried exim about 5 time, sendmail, qmail and smail.  Qmail's
> > configuration script aborted giving some error message that some
> > control should by do manually.  I could nowhere in the documentation
> > find out what that means.
> >

> I suspect you have some basic configuration error. Exim has always
> installed well for me using the eximconfig script. I suspect that either
> your resolv.conf is wrong, your /etc/hosts is wrong, your network
> configuration is wrong or something else very basic.

I had trouble with exim, check that /etc/aliases is there, and that it has
something in it..  Seems to die without it.. I wonder why?!?!

As for the RPM thing, why not get the .deb's from ftp.debian.org? I know
for a fact that pine is there, pine396-src and pine396-diffs (non-free):

dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/mail/pine396-src_1.deb
dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/mail/pine396-diffs_1.deb

I used ftp to do my upgrade, from a local mirror... slightly faster :)
And I had no problems whatsoever.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

    If it doesn't work, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.