Latency problems with Telnet

I connect to my ISP with a 33.6kbps modem. My problem is that I get very
poor response when I use Telnet. I believe that this is due to latency
problems. I've read somewhere that in Linux, telnet is set to low-latency
to improve responsiveness. How to find out what the settings are on my
system.

This poor responsiveness is bad when nothing else is using the ppp link,
and very bad if I were to be downloading something at the same time.

Come to think of it, is there a way to split the bandwidth of a line
between several processes is determined ways?

BG