Re:[fixed]New installation problem

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Lazar Fleysher wrote:

 : I have connected the cdrom to the secondary channel as a slave drive and
 : everything works. I have hard disk on primary ( master) and no other
 : devices are connected to the controller.

This is not a valid configuration - you cannot have an IDE channel with
a slave device and no master (Windows allows this, but it's not in the
IDE spec)

So, first thing to do is to reconfigure the CD-ROM as a master device
:)

 : Probably bad news (or question). I have noticed that during boot, it never
 : probes hdc device. Instead, hdb is probed twice!

You can pass options to the kernel at boot time that may help.  Since
there's no slave on the primary channel, you can pass "hdb=none", since
some IDE chipsets act really weird (I saw this the other day on a
Tandy).  You could also try "hdc=cdrom", and possibly "ide0=serialize"
(See the BootPrompt HOWTO).

Good luck!

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD