Re: How to update stable with stable-updates

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Gernot wrote:
>When I try to update stable using dselect and adding stable-updates to
>the distributions to get, dselect chooses m68-bin-files for the update
>instead of i386-files (most of the times).
>
>What is the right way to use the stable-updates-distribution with
>dselect?

Hi,

I've had the same problem. I had no luck using dselect/dpkg, and then decided to
install apt and use it as the method within dselect. This didn't work either.
I've sent an e-mail about this to the deity (apt development) list.

This problem can easily be avoided when an architecture-specific subdivision of
stable-updates is made, similar to the binary-$(ARCH) subdivisions
in stable/main, stable/contrib, and stable/non-free. Why hasn't this been done?

I've been unable to find an easy way to "automatically" upgrade stable using
stable-updates. My conclusion: you'll have to do this manually, that is,
install the packages you think you'll need using "dpgk -i" or "apt-get install".

Ruud Janssen.