Re: installation from a FAT32 partition

I had a similar problem when I tried to install the Debian base
system from a Windows 98 (FAT32) partition. The problem is (I think)
is that linux kernels prior to 2.0.35 don't have support for fat32
partitions.

I was running S.u.S.E. Linux when I upgraded to Windows 98. I
couldn't mount my Windows partitions anymore. I had to download the
2.0.35 source and recompile. After that, I could mount my Windows 98
partitions as type vfat with no problem.

Unless you are able to find a rescue disk with the 2.0.35 kernel on
it, I think you'll have to install via cdrom, or ftp. I ordered
cdroms, but they didn't work so I installed via ftp. I'm using a 57K
modem, and I have spent the last couple of nights downloading and
installing. It's really not too bad.

Hope this helps,

Mark

---