installation from a FAT32 partition

In both the Debian and Red Hat installation programs I've gotten to the point where I choose my installation method (HD) and in both cases the program does not recognize my hda1 (FAT32) parition, preventing me from completing the installation.  Debian tells me that "no partitions not already mounted were detected" and Red Hat (which provides a list of partitions) simply does not show the one (hda1) on which its software resides.  The partition programs (cfdisk, disk druid, and fdisk) had no trouble recognizing this partition.  Any suggestions?