MouseSystem optical mouse doesn't work on hamm

After an upgrade from Slackware 96 (!) to hamm, my mouse doesn't work using
the old XF86Config file and the old kernel.  Attempts to reconfigure with
XF86Setup were not successful.

The mouse used to be at /dev/ttyS0 (not even a busmouse!)
The mouse is a 3-button MouseSystem optical mouse.

`xinit' attempts to start X, but bails out with a message about I/O error
with the mouse.

Has XFree changed things likely to affect me?
Thnks for any help...
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada