sendmail bug?

$ man aliases

  [..]
  Loops can not occur, since no message will be sent to any person
  more than once.
  [..]

"Loops cannot occur, ..".  So, if I make an alias for tsawyer to hfinn,
and an alias for hfinn to dstern, and I send a mail to tsawyer, then
who should get it?

First I thought that meant hfinn should get it, but that clearly does
not occur.  When I read "loops cannot occur", I get a sense of
absolute, iow if I make an alias from tsawyer to hfinn, then mail sent
to tsawyer goes to hfinn, no matter what alias I make for hfinn.
Otherwise, a loop would occur if I were to alias dstern back to the
tsawyer.

If this isn't a bug, then the man page is either erroneous, or appeals
to a form of logic that I don't understand.

All I really want is to mail for root to go to dstern, and for mail to
real-root to go to root, not get looped back to dstern.  How can I do
this?

Someone in the know, please lend a clue to the uninitiated.  Thanks.