Re: CD-RW experiences?

Dan Hugo <dhugo@reallycool.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a CD-RW drive to archive things, and maybe
> even to maintain an up-to-date Debian CD set.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these drives?
[...]

My personal experience with the H-P SureSture 7100 CD-RW drive is
excellent, specially when I bought the external model, which connects
through the parallel port to the computer.

Note that I have never used the CD-RW in RW mode. I have only used it
to burn CD-R's with cdrecord (an excellent program).

To be able to use the 7100e I moved to the development kernels
(currently at 2.1.117), but I think the recent parport support (and
the new pg driver) was backported to 2.0.35.

The 7100i is the internal model and has an IDE interface. The 7100 was
superceded by the 7200, but there shouldn't be any major differences.

See ya!

peloy.-