diald not recognizing a good ppp connection via pppconfig - help !

I have my ppp connection working wonderfully via the package pppconfig.

I assumed that I could use the '/usr/bin/pon' command with diald.

Here's what happens if I look at diald when it is initiating a connection via
looking at /var/log/ppp.log:

It starts /usr/bin/pon just fine. This succeeds in connecting.
However, when the 'connect-timeout' in diald.conf is reached, dial terminates
the script /usr/bin/pon, and then proceeds to terminate the ppp
connection.

I know that /usr/bin/pon has a good connection because I am hot to the internet
inbetween the time the connection is made and diald goes through the silly
'connect-timeout' sequence above.

Should the /usr/bin/pon script be outputting something to diald's fifo pipe
(like CONNECT) in order for it to recognize a good connection ?

Help ?

Thanks !
Geoff Brimhall