diald and ppp problems

I'm using the hamm pppd and diald packages.  I've got ppp working fine I
can do (as root)
pppd call myisp
and it connects.

I'm trying to set up diald to do it and it's not working.  Diald
1) doesn't seem to realize that pppd is successful in making a connection
	-- it kills pppd with a "connect script failed" message _after_
	pppd has set up the link
2) isn't manipulating my routing tables right.  "route" just hangs after
	it prints column headings.  Is there some way to get diald
	to just start pppd and let _it_ handle setting up routes?

Here's /etc/diald/diald.options:

#fifo /var/run/diald/diald.fifo
device /dev/ttyS2
mode ppp
connect "/usr/sbin/pppd call myisp"
lock
modem
crtscts
local 192.168.0.1
remote 192.168.0.2
dynamic
defaultroute
include /etc/diald/standard.filter

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
|         And if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing       |
|                you may find you're missing all the rest ...            |
|	         - Dave Matthews,  "Best of What's Around"               |