Creating debian packages

I have just installed Debian Hamm so I am new to this distribution.  I
have been a long time user of RedHat.  I was quite pleased with the
book 'Maximum RPM' describing the packing building and usage of the
RPM system.  Is there something similar for dpkg?  I downloaded
something called the 'dpkg programmers manual' which I don't think I
am the target audience for.  I would like the complete procedure for
building binary and source .deb files.  A small sample walk-through
would be nice.  If anyone can point me to this information or send me
anything I would greatly appreciate it.

Wayne Cuddy
CRB-WEB (C & H Consulting)
http://www.crb-web.com