Re: Linux security

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 11:42:25AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:21:37 -0500, the lone gunman wrote:
>
> >only to the Microsoft programmers.  In my mind, it just seems that the
> >more folks there are looking at code, the better the chances of
> >discovering bugs, security concerns, etc.
>
>     It is the glass half empty versus the glass half full problem.
>
>     He sees the glass half empty.  Open source means more people looking for
> security holes to *exploit*.
>
>     You see the glass half full.  Open source means more people looking for
> security holes to *plug*.

I think the linux community can boast that it fixes exploits pretty
quickly.  Although exploits may be easier to discover with open
source, they are arguably easier to fix.

Perhaps it's harder to find the exploits in closed source
(i.e. Windows), but once the exploit is discovered, Microsoft must be
relied on to fix the problem (for the most part).

<shrug>