Re: win98/hamm dual boot problem

On Wed 19 Aug 1998, Michael Stenner <mstenner@phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> Following instructions I found on this list some time ago, I installed
> hamm and win98 separately: each have their own drive - only one was
> hooked up at a time.  Than, I put both drives in:  Linux as hda and win
> as hdb.  THis was nothing new for linux, so I started up linux and ran
> lilo with the following lilo.conf:

I can't help with this setup exactly, but I can give a tip I have discovered
with debian about having them both (at least win95, and no reason why it
shouldn't work with win98) on the same drive.  I don't use lilo as the mbr, I
just use Debian's mbr program, I also don't have lilo started automatically.
I put win95 on the first partition and linux on the second.  Since lilo
doesn't start automatically at all (never runs), I always boot into win95 w/o
a problem. If I want to boot into linux, I press the shift key during bootup,
this causes the mbr to print out a veyr brief and mysterious prompt: like
1AF:
I press A, (for all partitions I guess?) which puts out a prompt like
1234F:
I then press 2 (for the second, i.e. linux partition), this then execs lilo.
With this method, I can always make my kernels using make bzlilo and also gain
the advantage of not annoying my mother and sisters in having to boot through
lilo.

Shaya