Re: Samba passwords

Hi,

Brian Morgan <bmorgan@greenville.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to set a Samba user password to NONE, if a password
> already exists?  I've tried smbpasswd [user] and hit return twice, only
> to find that "Samba password not changed."

Well, firstly, are you using password encryption? If you are, then
passwords are stored in /etc/smbpasswd and you need to fill that file
with valid account names and passwords (hint: use smbpasswd -a
<username>).

If not, then the security depends on the setting of the "security ="
parameter in /etc/smb.conf.

Recommended readings are: /usr/doc/samba/{ENCRYPTION.txt,security_level.txt}

Finally, Samba by default does not allow acces to accounts that have
null passwords. To change this add this to the [global] section of
/etc/smb.conf:

null passwords = yes

See man smb.conf for more info.

Regards,