big file problem

Hi All,
today I have changed the harddisk on my PC from 1.1G to ~4G WD
Caviar 24300.  I was quite happy when I have got running system by simply
'cp from_old_disk to_new_disk'. Everything was fine until I tried to work
with big files (~400M). First I used 'dd' to make copy but system hungs at
some point. Then I decided to use 'cp' and I got a lot of horrible
messages about disk errors. As I remember, during 'mkfs.ext2 -c /dev/hdx'
there was only "read only testing". Is there any way to do read/write
test? Or, may there are other idea about this problem?

TIA,

Eugene Sevinian

CRD, YerPhI, 375036, Armenia
Phone: 374-2-344873