Garbled Characters even after terminal reset.

I have a Pentium MMX-200 with a Matrox Mystique that has 2M of VRAM. I am running
Hamm.

If leave a console up and leave for a short while, the characters will get garbled.
Not actually replaced with other charaters, but parts of the bitmap might be missing
or more dots get placed in the bitmap. If I have X up, I can switch to X and then
back to the console and all looks ok again. The reset command will not fix it.

I originally suspected the screen blanker for the terminal; however,  turning the
blanker off does not help, nor does the problem ever occur in X.

This problem does not happen on my other machine, a Pentium 90 and Herculese
Monocrome video card.

Thanx for any advice.

--
Paul Miller