THANKS ! RE: minimal files essential for booting ?

Thanks to all who helped on this one!!

Indeed, it was /lib that was missing during boot.  I repartitioned the
disk putting /etc, /bin and /lib back on the / partition, and everything is
hunky dorry.  I am now set to enjoy the freedom acquired by moving from
a 115 MB  drive to a 6.1 GB drive.

Ta,

Gerald