Cheabytes installed : now some questions

Marcus,

    Thanks for your reply. I havent yet acted on all your suggestions as
I am still
digesting the info. But I do have some preliminary comments (see below).

Kenneth

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 01:30:01PM -0500, Jor-el wrote:
> >     I did my first successful install of Debian 2.0 from a
Cheapbytes
> > cd. It wasnt quite as slick as I would have liked it to be, but I
did
> > get it working.
>
> Every suggetsion for improvement is welcome! (Not that we have the
time and
> manpower to make big changes at a time, but we'll try our best).

Well, I eventually figured out how to used 'dpkg --status', but if the
install
process uses 'dselect', it makes sense to provide an option 7 which
essentially
provides the output of 'dpkg --status'. This is a usability enhancement
that IMHO is
really essential since all those error messages just keep scrolling by.
Some kind of
logging of error messages during the actual install would also be great.
I dont think
dpkg as it stands now, is capable of redisplaying the error messages
that occurred
during install.

> >     There were some problems with the Makefile searching for  the
> > 2.7.2.1 gcc-lib include directory instead of 2.7.2.3, but I got
around
> > that. The show-stopper, however was that the Makefile couldnt find
the
> > socketio.h include. I eventually traced this include down to the
> > libc5-altdev_5.4.38-1.1.deb package in the oldlibs directory on the
> > debian cd.
>
> Seems that you got "old" sources for dip. Debian does also ship source

> packages, if you want to recompile something. However, the build
environment

    I am puzzled here. I did get the sources from the Cheapbytes cd. So
are you
saying that the Cheapbytes cd has got a wrong version of the sources? If
so, where do
I get the latest and greatest?

> changed (this is the libc5-libc6 change). Some header files changed,
and
> porting a program from the old lib to the new is not everytime easy
> (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't). Hower, Debian has complete
backward
> compatibility. For this, you must install the gcc-altdev package, and
change
> the PATH or something to execute the altdev gcc. there are
informations in

How would I install gcc-altdev in a directory of my choosing? Isnt the
install
directory hardcoded into into the packages?

> the README file I think.

What README?