Hamm installation --- failure (base14-1 fails crc check)

Installing Hamm from images I have FTPed from one of the debian mirrors.
Trying to install on a 486DX/33 Gateway 200 (donated to our Science
Department by a local engineering firm).  This machine is destined, with
luck and whatever else, to be the Internet gateway machine for our Science
Department LAN.

I FTPed the disks a second time and made the images on fresh disks.  Still
getting the same error: Base14-1 is failing a crc check.  Through a
convoluted series of efforts, I was able to partition the 200MB HDD, and
installed the kernel and modules, but base-1 failed twice, with an
identical error.

Amazingly, I am getting the same thing with a Slackware 3.5 install on the
same machine.  The kernel boots, but the root filesystem disk fails a crc
check.  A scrungy old disk with older Slackware images gets through the boot
and root steps ok!  The newer set of disks I have just made give this error.

With the Debian disks, the crc error ended the install...  The Slackware
install ended with a kernel panic.

I'm going to try older setups.  Is there any reason that an older machine
would be less compatible with newer install disks?

Thank you for having been there, almost always.

Alan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis