Re: OSS and Free Speech

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Ralph Winslow wrote:

> code is "like a telephony circuit" and hence not protected free speech.
> This is wrong, source code is only speech in that it requires hardware
> which might be of a wide variety of circuit types to turn the source
> expression into concrete action.

Source code is a set of instructions. It is more like an electronic
circuit or machine than it is speech. To try to make it out to be
constitutionally protected speech is REALLY a stretch. It is goofy stuff
like this that stands to hurt more than help the cause of free software.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!