Install w/ Adaptec 2940UW Problem

I'm sure you've already seen this several times by now.  I'm running
2.0.33 (different distribution) on a system with an Adaptec 2940UW.  The
driver in the 2.0.34 kernel can't find the Adaptec, and, therefore,
can't find any other SCSI peripherals (like the hard drives).  I could
boot up on one of my 2.0.33 floppies, but am having a hard time figuring
out the next step to get the distribution installation going.

I also have the most recent driver patch, so if I could get the install
running, I can fix the kernel.  At this point stupidity has apparently
set in.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Peter