Connor QIC-3020 Tape backup?

I'd like to get my tape backup working under Debian.

I have a connor QIC-3020 Travan tape system. This drive has a separate
controler which is connected to an ISA slot. It uses the same IRQ (6)
as the floppy and the same DMA channel (2). I believe this is a tape
drive which could connect directly to the floppy controler, but I
never could get it working that way.

My questions are:
Is anyone familiar with this type of tape backup system, and has
gotten it working under Linux?

Do    I need the interface card or is it better to run it directly
from the floppy controler? I'm not interested in performance (speed)
since I'll do backups lat at night.

Is this an ftape issue and if so, how do I proceed to configure?

Thanx in advance for any help.

Regards,

Ed Young