Re: Almost there. . .HELP

In <[🔎] 8025665E.006D8A48.00@hqoutbound.ops.3com.com>, on 08/12/98
   at 09:05 PM, John_Gay@3com.com said:

Not using the nameservers isn't hard - you simply type IP
addresses instead of names.  Instead of www.debian.org you
type 209.81.8.242 for example.  This works with
ftp and lots of other software.
The problem is of course knowing what IP-addresses the
various names corresponds to.  For this, use some
other machine connected to the network, and use the nslookup command:

nslookup ftp.debian.org

This command wil print out something like this:
Server:  ns.online.no
Address:  193.212.1.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    santanni.cc.gatech.edu
Address:  130.207.7.21
Aliases:  ftp.debian.org

Here we see that the IP address is 130.207.7.21
You could then use a command like "ftp 130.207.7.21"
(without the quotes) for connecting.

We also get the IP address of the nameserver used
(in this case 193.212.1.10) you may simply configure
your debian for using the nameserver now that you know
it and avoid the trouble of looking up addresses manually.

The nslookup command is available on most machines and
os'es that connect to the internet.  It could be
missing on dos/windows though.

Helge Hafting
helge.hafting@daldata.no