Copying only root directory

I've got a simple question.  I'm in the process of switching from a 2.5
GB HD to a 4.3 GB drive.  I have my Linux box set up with a 64 meg /
partition, a 700 meg /usr, and separate /tmp, /home, and /var (etc.)
partitions.

Okay, so I partition my new drive with the various sized partitions that
I want.  Then I mount a partition under /mnt and do a "cp -axv /home/*
/mnt" (etc.) to copy the various "old" partitions to the "new" drive.
Everything works fine.

Until I get to the root partition, that is.  I've been through a
half-dozen books reading up on cp and dd and various commands and I
can't come up with a way to copy only the subdirectories on my 64 meg /
partition to the new / partition.  I know this is an easy one; can
someone shed some light on me please?  Thanks in advance.

--
 Regards,                | Debian GNU/ __      o http://www.debian.org