Re: Silly Question... VERY simple :)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:
> > >
> > > Where is the documentation for C ? i.e. language help?
> > > I have a hard time remembering syntax and stuff.. :)
> >
> > You're best off just buying "The C Programming Language" (ANSI edition).
> > It isn't very expensive and the hardcopy is handy. There may be some free
> > stuff on the web though, try www.infoseek.com.
> >
> Hmm. I prefer Schildt's C the complete reference.

 Isn't Schildt the guy who writes from a DOS perspective? I know that the
comp.lang.c people hate him. Apparently his books are just teeming with
errors. The comp.lang.c FAQ
(http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/C-faq/faq/faq.html)
has a bibliography that might be a good place to start.

Still, I'd second the nomination for Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C
Programming Language, Second Edition" (ANSI). This is a very good, concise
book, which I have found *very* useful. ISBN 0-13-110362-8.

> Is there any compiler-specific documentation (esp wrt to graphics and
> low-level hardware/system stuff)?

 'info gcc' is probably a good place to start.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "I can write programs that control air traffic, intercept ballistic
  missiles, reconcile bank accounts, control production lines."

 "So can I, and so can any man, but do they work when you do write them?"

      - Fred Brooks, after Shakespeare, in "The Mythical Man-Month"