Installation Problems with Installing the base system

Hello.  I am trying to install Linux for the first time and I am having
a problem when it comes to "Installing the base system."

1.  I downloaded the files from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/hamm/disks-i386/current .
2.  Copied them to a hard drive that was already partitioned with 4
partitions (2 - ext2 and 2 - swp)
3.  Ran install
4.  Everything went fine untill installing the base system (I skipped
network config. as I will be using ppp)

I get an error that I cannot read because dinstall is covering it up.  I
think it says something about invalid archive format.

I even created floppies and tried, but had a checksum error on the 4th
disk 3 times with different disks.

I have compared the dates and files sizes of what I downloaded with what
is out on the network and they match.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a very frustrated programmer?

Brooke Hedrick
Programmer
brooke.hedrick@rainhail.com