Re: nasty...

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 04:12:45PM +0200, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > I just removed some of the old buzz/rex packages, base, timezone, bdflush.
> > I did it in dselect, and apt quite happily obliged.
>
> Aargh!  you removed base?  You might be in for some trouble.  Try to
> run dpkg -i base-files.deb before you reboot.  That will put some of the
> vital files back I hope.

It doesn't. base-files does not contain ANY devices. I am a bit surprised
at how many of the files in the base.tgz file are not owned by any package
after installation -- I think this is bad. Not even the kernel belongs
to any package after initial installation.

> These issues have been discussed some months ago (esp. w.r.t. base,) but
> some people think that it is Supreme Evil to munge with files in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info (that's what you need to do to get rid of "base"
> safely.)  IMHO having your system flushed is far worse.  In the case of
> timezone{,s}, I don't know exactly where the problem lies.  You should
> file a bugreport.

Surely SOMETHING could be done to prevent removing base from trashing
the system. base-files should own the same set of files anyway I should
think; I can't see why it wouldn't provide the devices.

Hamish