Re: samba problems

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 04:11:37PM +0000, peloy@ven.ra.rockwell.com wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > However, now 95 users have to supply their network password once,
> > which is undesirable. Once entered it seems happy enough, but I would
> > prefer that those users didn't have to enter a password.
> >
> > Any suggestions for a solution?
>
> And what about setting the password for those users in /etc/smbpasswd
> to be blank? Does that work?

It works (I'm using that now) but my system is internet connected
as well, so it's not very secure. I have set "allow hosts =" to limit
connections but do want to allow some outside access; unfortunately
it does not seem to be possible to set this on a host + username basis.
Still, I think I might be able to use auto-logon in Win95 to have a password
for those machines and not prompt for it. I will try this later.

thanks

Hamish