Re: Xwrapper & Netscape problems

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 01:26:12PM -0700, Jeremiah Cornelius wrote:

> I just installed Debian 2.0 on my new Dual PentiumPro box.
>
> IMHO, It's got some real plusses, and some definite minuses as cmpared
> to RH 5.x...
>
> My real problem right now, is that X seems to have installed itself
> without Xwrapper, and only root can launch X!  I don't want to setuid
> the xserver, and I can't find a .deb for the wrapper.

AFAIK there is no deb for "the wrapper" but....my system seems to use
a wrapper script (my xserver isn't SUID)

You installed xbase? and the proper xserver? what versions? is this from
2.0 or unstable?

> Also, the Netscape .deb packages from contrib seem very broken. They
> will not install, complaining that original .tgz files must be named
> specifically, located in /tmp, and owned by root. I suppose I could
> get the originals from NS, but that sort of defeats the purpose of
> maintaining a package system.

The netscape .deb is an installer (we are not allowed to actually
put netscape into a package for install and distribute it)
you need to get the netscape originals and place them in /tmp
THEN use the netscape .deb to install...it will take the files
from /tmp and install it debian "properly"

> I used alien to convert RedHat's Netscape 4 .rpm's to .deb.  These
> installed with dpkg, but do not function.

yea alien isn't perfect...there can be problems

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"