help w/ virtual domains and linux

first, thank you netgod for trying to help.  The phone kept ringing at
work and I could not pay close enough attention.

I am in the process of moving from BSDi to Debian at work.  We typically
have from 5 to 25 domains on a web server.  I know how to config apache,
sendmail, etc.  However the ifconfig statements that work on BSDi do not
in Linux -- in fact it hoses up the networking completely and I reboot
to reset it.

Currently on BSDi we do this in a rc.local script:

for i in `cat /etc/servers`
do
	ifconfig $interface $domain alias
	route add -host $domain 127.0.0.1
done

This makes all the domains in /etc/servers, which is just a bunch of
lines like:
foo.com
bar.com
get aliased to the interface.

The same script on the linux box blows up and sets the IP address to the
last domain, not the machine's actual one.  The route is also hosed and
no amount of ifconfig or route statement's put it back.  (At least none
I know).

Please tell me the correct way to do this.  We currently have a
addvserver script which creates the new directories, groups, and users
needed then it sets up the ifconfig entries and starts the apache
daemon.  I would like to use this script.

P.S. anyone know how to set the password in a command line?  like
adduser --password foo bar, thus a login of bar w/ a password of foo.
We can also do this in BSDi, w/ its adduser command.