Re: Changing number of colors of XServer

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:

> Thanks for the information,
>
> How does the XServer know WHICH Screen section to use?  I notice that my file has
> several sections labled like this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

The default is 256 colors, you can change that by running X as:
startx -- -bpp 16/24/32 for better performance.

You can add it by default to the conf. file, but I don't remember the name
of the entry, somethinglike DefaultColorDepth, but I'm not sure, read the
documentation.

You can also edit a file in a users directory .xserverrc with the line
#!/bin/sh
exec X -- -bpp 16

HTH,
Liran.