Re: annoying Win95 workaround

I to use and love System Commander. If both of these partitions you
created are primary partitions, you may have System Commander set up to
hide one of your primary partitions when the other is active. This is a
very useful feature to be able to set primary partition visibility for
each OS selection, as Windows 95 and NT can sometimes do very bad things
if they find another Microsoft OS on a primary partition. If you're ever
in doubt or get confused about what your current settings are, you can
always run Linux's cfdisk to see all your partitions and their IDs.
Whenever System Commander is set up to set a primary partition hidden
for a specific OS selection, it adds 10 to the partition's ID value,
even if the partition is not a DOS type, which is a rather undesirable
behavior.

DOS FAT 12 ID:               01
DOS FAT 16 ID:               04
DOS FAT 16 ( > 32MB):        06
DOS FAT 12 hidden:           11
DOS FAT 16 hidden:           14
DOS FAT 16 hidden ( > 32MB): 16
Linux Ext2:                  83
Amoeba:                      93

As you can see, adding 10 to any DOS partition type makes it hidden, but
if your Linux partition is also a primary partition and you set it as
hidden, then adding 10 to it's ID will make it an Amoeba partition.

You can go to the "Local special options" menu for each OS selection in
System Commander's menu to set primary partition visibililty for each OS
selection.

Linux's cfdisk will let you change just the ID of a partition if you
ever manage to screw things up.

Good luck,
Chris