Re: Sound (with E)................

esd is the culprit.  This app takes over your /dev/audio -- try using
realplayer in X with E running -- it dies too.  The correct thing to do
is simply run 'esdctl off' to disable sound and then 'esdctl on' to
enable esd agin.

esd is a daemon process (not a well written one but it is getting
there).  I use an lpd and I also have a parallel port hard drive.  I do
not have to kill lpd to use the drive.  esd should simply be turned on
or off as needed.  It is wrong to have to kill a daemon.