Adaptec 2940UW failure with current rescue disks; Buslogic BT958 succeeds

Debian rescue disks have supported my Adaptec 2940UW disk for 1 1/2 years.
Now, none of the rescue disks in
     .../dists/hamm/disks-i386
work with my Adaptec 2940UW.
I have tried all four
    .../dists/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.10_1998-07-21/resc1440*
and I have tried
    .../dists/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.10_1998-07-17/resc1440.bin
Since the bo lineage has been removed, I would not be able to install Debian
Linux.

I happen to still have a bo rescue disk from 11/17/97: it works with my
Adaptec 2940UW.
I got my Adaptec 2940UW two years ago with a new Dell computer.  A sticker on
the back says DP/N 00094974 RevA00, so it may have been an early 2940UW.  The
error messages I get (I forget exactly) repeat 2 lines infinitely concerning
scsi.

As an aside, curiously, even with the old rescue disk, when I mounted my
working Debian, I couldn't run lilo. I mounted / on /mnt and /usr on /mnt2.
Amongst other attempts, I tried (with various LD_LIBRARY_CONFIG settings)
   /mnt2/sbin/lilo   -r /mnt   -C lilo.conf.2-drives
Eventually, I succeeded doing what lilo would have done by using two menu
items from the rescue disk installation: I mounted the good / (ended up on
/target), and I wrote to floppy.  I had pulled scsi disk 0 from a daisy chain
of three scsi devices, consequently I needed to rerun lilo [I understand new
/dev names in future kernels will not require rerunning lilo].  So, when all
else fails, carefully avoiding a new install yet using some of the
installation menu entries can get Debian working.

A week later, swapping a Mylex/Buslogic BT-958 for my Adaptec 2940, I had no
problems using current hamm rescue disks!

I am not concerned about this problem;  I do not seek a solution since I have
a very old rescue disk.  Still, I welcome comments in the interest of others
and my understanding.

---
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson
jameson@pressroom.com	(703) 235-5213 ext. 132  (work)

"It is not the shortcomings of others, nor what others have done or not
 done that one should think about, but what one has done or not done oneself."
---Dhammapada   ["dp" command for quotes from the Dhammapada, in Linux]