Re: Dumb X terminals

On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 09:18:19PM +0000, Matt Kopishke wrote:
> Hi all, Here's the story:
>
> We (A high school) just received a bunch of 486/66 Compaqs.  The idea is
> to turn them in to dumb X terminals (running StarOffice, and Netscape).
> They have small hard drives (200mb), 16 md of RAM, 3 Comm Ethernet cards,
> and vga (svga?) + Monitors.  I was thinking that the base system could
> sit on the drives, and maybe some of the X files (hehe, sorry).  But when
> xdm fires up X, I would like it to connect to our Linux server, (not the
> local machine).  Is this possible, can some give me a few pointers.
> Thanks

very easy :)
install the debian base system....
then install the xserver package for your video card.
Setup XF86Config.

On the "Server" edit the xdm config...
in /etc/X11/xdm
edit Xservers and comment out :

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

thats really it...
then on the "Xterminals" invoke X with
X -query NAME_OR_IP_OF_SERVER

this will start the X server and givee you a alogin window for
the "SERVER"

-Steve
--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **