Re: minimal files essential for booting ?

> PS: Of course it might be possible to only have the bare essiental
> files on the root file system, and remount partitions like /etc
> over the top of the root filesystem, but I don't like this, as IMHO it
> makes it harder (read near impossible) to actively maintain, and
> might cause problems for programs that create temp files on startup.
> (I am not sure if libc6 still does this in /etc).

there is an upshot to that idea tho ;)
then you have a base system which unless you actively try...never gets
changed...so even it the real /etc or /lib gets screwed up...
you can still boot the system without a rescue disk and
recover.
of course if the root partition dies your screwed anyway ;)

BTW earlier in you rmessage (part I snipped) you mentioned the FSSTND.
The FSSTND (and more properly the FHS) are some of the few documents I think
EVERY Linux user NEEDS to read.

They really shed allot of light on some of the more subtle points of
the filesystem...and explain allot. I recommend evryone print out a copy
and read it (I can't help it...I like printed docs)
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"